Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fishing New Brunswick: Canaan River


Although it rained all day on Thursday James and I decided to go try the Canaan River for a few hours yesterday. When we got there we noticed the water was up about 2 feet, which I guess is good because it was down a bit and very warm. The water temperature was warm but cooler than before the rain.

We both started fishing with senkos, mine a pink one and James using a red one. Just before some rapids I caught a pickerel. He was just a small guy. He was sitting right in by some grass. We continued our way down the river and came to the area where we have caught some bass in the past. We tried along the grass on the left hand side for some pickerel and also in the middle for some bass. I decided to use a new hula popper that I just bought on Ebay. I was very pleased with the action it created on the water. As I was fishing a fish jumped just behind me saw I threw the hula popper there and as soon as it hit the water I had a fish on. I thought it was a small bass at first but it ended up being a good sized chub.



James testing how deep the water was :)

As we made our way down farther I decided to cross the river and fish the other side as there was quite a bit of brush hanging close to the water. Now using my skitter pop lure I threw it close to the brush and caught a small bass. We went down a little farther without any luck and decided to fish back up the river. As we got close to the rapids again I caught another pickerel in along grass. Again it was just a small one.



The fishing was slow again but it was still good to get out on the water and spend a few hours fishing with James. I am thinking the next time I can get out I am going to give French Lake a try to see if we can get into some more pickerel.



2 comments:

  1. It was a fun afternoon. I even took a couple of minutes to cool off by slipping right into the drink. Very refreshing, even if it was a bit of a surprise.

    Did I hear French Lake? Any time you're ready to go. I'm already packed. :)

    ReplyDelete