Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fishing New Brunswick: Canaan River......Twice


Friday night my friend Glenn and I decided to go down by Coles Island for an evening fish in his 14 foot aluminum boat. When we arrived at 6 pm it was extremely windy but we decided to give it a try anyways. As we got out into the water we noticed there were weeds beds and grass everywhere so I figure we would be in for a good night of pickerel fishing. Well the wind said different. It stayed windy pretty well night. We were able to find a few spots out of the wind but we did not get any action there. Actually we did not get any action at all during the evening. I would have to say it was because of the wind. It was fun going around in the boat and continued to make me eager to get my own 14 foot boat. I am looking but have not found one yet.



Today when my wife got home from the gym I threw out that I would like to go fishing for a few hours and she said yes....always good to test the waters :) so I went back to the Canaan River at the bridge by the Havelock turnoff. Again when I got there it was quite windy but it looked like the rain was going to hold off. I wore my waiters and started down the river. I tired for a pickerel right away where James caught one on Monday. I got one to move a couple of times but did not catch him. I then walked to to the stretch that is quite flat and fairly deep. This was the spot James and I had some luck early in the week. I walked down the right hand side casting into the middle and along the bank. I tired different lures. I tried the skitter pop, a black with red spots frog, a 4 inch tube for some bottom fishing, and a green with white belly frog. I did get some action on the black frog but I did not get the hook set properly. I would say I had three bass chase that lure. I also used a lure that looks like a salamander, I got some action with that one by some weeds.

I was almost ready to head back up but saw some more calm water so I went down a little farther using the green and white frog. I casted out into the water and when I was reeling in I had a hit but missed it. I casted out again and it hit again but again no fish. There was a big rock in the middle and figured the bass was hanging out by that. I waited a few minutes and threw the frog out again and this time I had the bass on. It was a nice size bass. It is the one in the picture by my rod. It was released back into the water after the picture.


After I caught the fish I decided to start back towards the car. On the way back I decided to walk on the other side of the river to try it while also casting out into the middle. I decided to use my skitter pop, which is the fire tiger color by the way. The picture is a little blurry but it is clear enough for you to see it. I would recommend buying this lure if you are fishing bass. It works quite well. As I made my way up the river I casted straight in front of me in calm spot which was fairly shallow. Pretty well as soon as the skitter pop hit the water I had another bass on. This one is in the picture with me holding it is one hand, another god sized bass.

So, I ended up landing two bass and probably having 5 or 6 hits so all in all not a bad afternoon of fishing. I will have to make sure I ask earlier so I have time to ask someone to come with me but this was unexpected. The other picture is of the frog I caught the bass on. I decided to put the pictures of the baits on in case it helps someone when they go shopping for baits.






6 comments:

  1. Nice loooking fish. Keep watching Kijiji for used boats in the Moncton area. Lots of 12's for sale but a 14' is much better for room and handling rougher water!! I,m avail almost anytime if your looking for someone to go fishin. We could go down to New Horton lake for a morn or afternoon if your free now. Give me a call. Cheers Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shot you took of your bass with your rod.

    Both nice looking bass, congrats.

    I have trouble getting pictures to be focused when I am both holding the fish or lure and taking the image with my other hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if your looking for a 14 foot aluminum i would check the st john fredericton kiji there usually cheap and alot more people have boats up there i got a bass boat with swivel seats for 300$ last month out by st george everyone that i know that bought a boat got it from freddy kiji or st john. them are some nice fish guys keep up the good work lol......ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey James...someone I know told me about taking the pic by my rod :)
    Ron...I have been looking at Fred and St.John but nothing has caught my attention yet. I am sure something will come along sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be looking to sell my 14 foot Alumacraft boat with 25 hp 2018 Mercury Mortor with elec. start Tilt and trim tiller steering Trailer with up graded 13 inch tires Bimimini Top Motor has under 35 hours.has new carpeted floor and all brand new seats trolling motor. Havent used the boat since 2020 because of back operation in Dec.20 and the a really bad truck accident near MaCready old rest raunnt down Coles Island way. Spent 7 days in hospital. Will be asking $7495.00 or best offer. Replaced all wiring and light system on it and having new bilge pump installed pand needs all elec.stuff hooked up. Also has Trolling motor. Home phone is 506-383-0977. Live in Moncton in Pine Tree village down the road from New Costco Ware house,Motor cost just under $in 2018.5600.00

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to head for the cannan this spring for trout or bass. was wondering where a good spot to start?

    ReplyDelete