Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fishing New Brunswick: A Busy Day

Yesterday I spent a full day fishing(and driving). Glenn, myself, and another friend of Glenn's decided to go to the Miramichi to try some salmon fishing. With the weather being so warm and reports that the fishing has not been good we decided to go early in the morning while the water temperatures might be a little cooler. We left at 4:15 in the morning and arrived close to 6 am. We got to our spot and got set up for some fishing. When Glenn and I walked down to the water we saw a salmon moving around. Glenn tried fishing it for awhile with no luck so I decided to start my way down the river.


On my way down I tried a handful of different flies, some dry and some wet. I was catching lots of chub but that is all I was seeing. The water temperature was very warm, which I am sure was not good for the fish. Glenn and I continued down the river with both of us catching lots of chub. After about 30 minutes we decided to go back to our starting point. When we got there I went back to the small pool that we saw the fish. I was standing quite close to it and could see a fish there. The reflection of the sun made it hard to see. The other two guys came over and Glenn had a better angle and could see a handful of grilse and one salmon. The salmon then had enough and took off between me and Peter. It was a very big fish and it was very cool to get that close to one.



We decided not to go to any other spots and made our way back to town. We got back home around 1:30pm and Glenn and I wanted to continue to fish so we loaded up his boat and made our way to Coles Island. As we got to the boat launch there were two other people there. As we drove by them I had to do a double take to realize it was James. He was there with Casey. They said they only saw a few fish in 7 hours of fishing.

We decided to go on the water anyways but soon realized we would not see many fish. Again, the water temperature was very warm. I suggested since we were only 30 minutes from Chipman that I could show Glenn where I have spent so much time the past few years. So we loaded up again and made our way to Chipman. We put in at the launch by the marina and made our way to the cove I fish all the time. At one of the points Glenn hooked into a pickerel right away using a frog bait that is also a popper. I was getting the camera ready to take his picture when the fish jumped right out of his hands and back into the water. It was quite comical to tell the truth....right Glenn???? :) We continued to fish the cove getting some chases and hits but we did not land anymore fish. Glenn said he really enjoyed seeing what the pickerel can do and I was glad to show him. Hopefully next time we will be able to land some more pickerel. I am thinking it may be time to give French Lake a try.

We left at 4:15am and got home at 10:30 pm. I would say that was a full day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment