Friday, July 16, 2010

Fishing New Brunswick: Crooked Creek


My friend Nathan emailed me a few days ago saying he was going to go to Crooked Creek to do some fishing and asked if I would like to go. I have not been to Crooked Creek or have done much fly fishing yet this year so thought it would be a great opportunity to go.









Nathan picked be up a little after 5 am and we were ready to start fishing around 6:30am. We drove to the bridges, which is 4.6kms into the dirt road past the lookout. I heard rumors that the first bridge was gone. By looking at this picture you can see that the rumors are true. I am not sure if they will replace it or not?



We got into the water and started fishing up the river. Nathan had never fished this stretch of water so I wanted to show him some of the pools that we have had luck in over the years. My favorite fly to use at Crooked Creek is the Royal Coachman. I have had great success with this fly of this water. As soon as we started fishing Nathan caught a little rainbow right where the bridge use to be. He threw this one back. Just above that there is a nice little run and I had a rainbow on but it got off. It was good to see a few fish right at the beginning of the day. We did not have any luck at the next pool so we made our way to the covered bridge. There is a nice run just above it so I floated the Royal Coachman down it a few times and caught this nice rainbow.

After this spot we walked the road until it cut back into the water. It is just a few minute walk. Just above there is a nice pool where I have had luck over the years. We did not see anything this time and made our way to the next corner. It is a very nice deep run. After almost getting ready to leave this spot I caught another rainbow.
I decided to take Nathan to one more hole and to get to this spot we decided to walk through the woods to get there as the water on this stretch is pretty hard to walk. Once we got there Nathan tried the pool a few times and then I threw the Royal Coachman in and I saw some movement on the water. I threw it in again and caught this nice rainbow (picture below). We decided not to go any farther up the river but did fish the pools on the way back down. It was at this time that Nathan caught a rainbow.


The water conditions were that it was running fairly hard because of some recent rain but was still certainly fishable. When the water settles a bit it will make the pools that much better. It was pretty neat that there was a mist on the water and it stayed there quite awhile. It made for a few nice pictures.



I am very glad I was able to make it to Crooked Creek to do some fly fishing and hope to get back soon.


For anyone looking to go here to fish it is located in Riverside Albert and you turn towards the lookout and then drive on the dirt road. Be warned though that the road is quite rough and I was amazed to see how much the bush and trees have overgrown on the road.

TX4KBX4XZJQD




4 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie,
    I am so glad you guys are still heading up to Crooked Creek.....man....still my favorite place in the world. Congrats on the nice fish man. I am sooooo jealous. That Royal Coachmen of yours in the Bomb my brother. Tie me up some and I will try them out here. You should get your butt out here to Calgary sometime and we can go out on the Bow River for some Big Big Browns and Rainbows. You'd love it. Or how about a trip just for the boyz to Florida or Mexico to do some saltwater fishing...ohhh yeah!
    Take er easy buddy.......keep up the blogging.....great pics and reading!

    Dave Harris
    Calgary, AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Dave. It was a good day there. The water was running a little hard but it was certainly fishable. The first bridge is gone. The Royal Coachman caught me all three :)
    Fishing on the Bow would certainly be fun.
    It is weird not having you guys home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sorry my brother, we're on a little break from NB this year for obvious reasons. The Inlaws are gonna be here in Aug. and we are going to visit BC with them instead. We will be back next year for a few weeks with a vengance my friend not to worry and we will hit the water hard for every fish we can find. ;-) Let me know how your Salmon trip went up on the Mirimichi.
    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will hit the water hard for sure. We went to see them tonight as they leave tomorrow. When they get there we will have to try the webcam. The water was extrememly warm on the Miramichi. This past week cooled down. Hopefully will get back at least one more time.

    ReplyDelete