Monday, June 28, 2010

A Good Day Fishing

On Sunday around 11 in the morning I decided to ask the girls if they wanted to go fishing. They said they wanted to go so we packed up the car and headed towards Chipman. On the way there I decided to stop at Straky's Warf on the Canaan River. It is the first time I have been there so I was glad to have found it. It was a busy spot so we did not stay long. The people there were catching perch so perhaps I will take the girls back sometime soon.

We then went on to Chipman and fished the banks again. The weeds have really grown in and the water was low which did not make for good fishing. We fished for a couple of hours and then the girls asked to go home. We had a great time together even if we did not catch any fish. I did have a couple good ones hit my bait but I did not get them to shore.

Once I dropped the girls off at home I decided to go back to my spot on the Canaan river and tried for some bass. I used a rubber minnow for awhile, as I caught a nice bass with it last time. I was not getting any action so I decided to try a skitter pop lure. This lure makes a lot of action on top of the water. After a few casts along the bank a bass came up and hit the lure but it did not take it so I threw it in again and the same thing happened so I threw it back a third time and this time the bass smashed the bait. It was a very nice bass. Hard to tell in the pic as it was hard to hold the fish up and take a picture.
I continued down the river using the same bait. I caught one more bass and then had a pickerel hit it a few times and then one more bass hit but I did not catch it.
All in all it was a great day with my girls and then a nice evening fishing some bass. I am thinking my next time out in the canoe I am going to give by Starky's Warf a try as it looked like there were many weed beds all over the place.

3 comments:

  1. an awesome place to catch perch is silver lake in sackville and there is also a small population of bass there is brook trout eels ive even caught catfish lol but if you want your gils to catch that would be the ideal place for it you can cast ryt off the shore into the lake or you can cross the road into an ecxellent brook with many pools

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron. Iwas actually by there on Saturday for the first time. Went nearby to look at a boat to buy. Where would you stand to cast? Right off the beach area or anywhere along the road? What do you use for bait?

    Thanks for reading and posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well u can stand ryt around the bridge next to the beach i find the white and yellow perch byte at night and early in the morning im only using night crawlers not even a spinner and they bite constantly when they bite and if you have a boat and go around the corners of the lake u can get nice ones we were out the other day and i caught around 30 of em ranging between 10 and 15 inches if your near a grassy area watch out for the eels they bite fast

    ReplyDelete