Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No Bass For Little River (Not Yet Anyway)

I went out to Little River on Saturday to try to catch some bass. It was my first time there this season so I was curious to see the water level and current. I was not overly surprised to seethe water quite high and the current was quite strong. I did decide to give it a try. I fished different parts of the river with no luck and no sign of any bass. As I was working my way up river I met another person who was fishing for trout. He was bait fishing with worms and to my surprise was catching some. I did not think there ere any trout in the system so I was pleased to hear he was catching some. I figure in a few more weeks the water will be more fishable.

I then went for a ride to give Smith's Creek a try. This is in behind Sussex. There is a certain spot that I try. I tried bait fishing. Again I did not have any luck at all. I got no bites. Again, the water was running quite hard and was cold. I left and decided to explore a little. A little ways down the road I spotted a small little brook and gave it a try. It is here where I caught my first three fish of the year. They were just small brook trout but it was nice to feel the tug on the line again.

I am not sure what the next few weeks will bring for fishing but I am hoping to get out soon again. Until then, tight lines.

4 comments:

  1. hey jamie, from my experience, the bass dont come in little river before the last week of may. (i fished almost everyday last year from may 20 to june 2, they arrived on may 28) but you can hit trout and seatrout if lucky anytime from now until early june. have fun. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I think that is around when I first tried last year. That is only a few weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's always good to go and check it out, just to see for yourself. Will have to make a mental not that the bass are busy until the end of May. :)

    I like taking a few worms with me when I go trout fishing early season. I have a lot better luck usually when I put a tasty little treat on the hook.

    Trout are the best eating right now when the water is still pretty cold.

    I will try not to work to hard at yard work so I can go next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jamie, are you around tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete