Sunday, May 10, 2009

No Luck on the Petitcodiac but......

I went out on the Petitcodiac yesterday to try to catch some bass. As has been the case the early part of this season we did not have any luck at all. It certainly was not a waste of a few hours because I met a new fishing friend. His name is Casey and seems to love to fish as much as I do.
Casey was gracious enough to invite me out in his 16 foot boat. It makes my 13 foot canoe look like...well...a 13 foot canoe :) He has it set up very nice. He has two fish finders, 2 swivel seats, live well, radio, rod holders, and much more. What I really like is that we were able to stand up to fish. The boat is big enough that you feel safe when standing up. Something that we certainly can not do in my canoe. My time will come someday when I will get a good fishing boat for fishing bigger water.
Casey and I tried different baits while we fished. I tried some 4 inch tubes, some top water baits, and some 4 inch worms. The fish finder did pick up a few fish but it seemed like they were hanging out somewhere else.

As we finished up our day on the water we said that some day James and I will go out in the canoe and Casey and his fishing buddy will go out in his boat and we will have a friendly challenge to see who can catch the most chain pickerel.

Thanks again Casey for taking the time and showing me your boat and getting in some bass fishing. Until next time!!

4 comments:

  1. You are entirely welcome Jamie as I like to meet other fishing guys. It is nice to change from 1 partner all the time. A friendly competition would be a blast. We could use my boat and my partners boat with you and James in with us so everyone would have lots of room and we could keep an eye on you guys in case you miscount, lol. Sometime in June !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool to have a boat that is big enough to stand in. I had one for a few years and have many great stories from that boat.

    I like the idea of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey I think the bass are slowly moving up in the peticodiac system. Got my first two of the season on a wooly bugger in Turtle creek last saturday. I missed a couple more. I was a bit suprised to see bass up that early in Turtle creek (i was fishing trout - with no success - where the current begins). indeed a nice surprise (and an indication that I have still lots to learn). Shouldn't be too long now before they fully wake up. I intend to try it again wednesday evening if the weather is as superb as forecasted. Cheers,

    Freddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great Freddie. Not sure when I will get out again but I hope it is soon. Little River was very high last weekend.

    ReplyDelete