Monday, July 20, 2009

What a Bass!

James and I decided to go fishing yesterday to our favorite pickerel place. When we got into the canoe we did a loop by the culverts under the road. On the way there we made a few casts with no action. The last time we were there we had a few pickerel that were hitting just in front of the culverts in the running water so I decided to throw my line in that spot. As soon as the 6 inch pink worm hit the water there was an enormous splash on top of the water. I was very excited as I thought I was about to catch a huge pickerel. Well, the way the fish was acting James and I quickly said that it was not a pickerel. James was the first to say that it was a bass. About a month and a bit ago we saw 2 people with some small bass they said they caught there. This was the first that we heard bass being in this water so I was not terribly surprised that it could be a bass. What was very cool was the size of the bass. I have caught a few nice bass on Little River and another nice on on the Canaan River but this one is the biggest I have caught to date.

We did catch some pickerel and had others case like we normally do but the wind picked up and made fishing very difficult in the canoe. We went to another stretch of the river but it was still very windy so we decided to call it a day. Hopefully there will be another fishing day very soon.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man that was fun. It's one of the reasons I like to fish with friends so much. It's much more fun to have someone to share an experience like that with.

    You can see from the one picture that we drifted quick a ways away from the spot you caught it. That wind plauged us all day but it was still a great day.

    Round and round we go. We will have to try that paddle boat one more time, just not on a windy day. I am sure if little kids can control them we could learn to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking fish!! Why dont you guys ever measure your catches??? Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,
    I was so excited I never thought to measure it :)

    James, I also noticed that we were a ways away form the culvert when the pic was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caught an 18". 1st and 2nd place were 18 3/4 and 3rd was 18 1/2. There was no 4th!!!!,but we won $100 in the draw which paid our entry. See the pics on NB sportfishing site under Lake Petitcodiac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was there last weekend . Caught lots of nice pic,s but no bass. Thats a beauty. I didn,t know they were there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw someone with a few small ones a month or so ago. I was surprised to catch it though. The wind came up when we were there and pretty well shut us down.
    Will hopefully be going out again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went to washadamoak lake today and caught 8 or 10 bass. 3 were 17"(camera batteries were dead), also caught 2 small pickeral. Casey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great Casey. James and I went back to Chipman yesterday but we did not have as much luck as we normally do. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete