Sunday, June 21, 2009

Canaan River

I went fishing today for a few hours. I usually try to get out fishing on Father's Day as a bit of a celebration. I did not call anyone to go with me as the sky was very dark and thought I might get poured on. I went to Little River and caught one bass but did not get any other action. It was still early in the day so I thought I would go on the Cole's Island road and fish part of the Canaan River.

I drove a couple of minutes past the bridge at the turnoff for Havlock. I had my waiters so I decided to get in and walk the river. The water is dark so I walked carefully. On about my fifth cast I had a bass on. I was using a 4 inch tube. I started walking down the river and kept casting close to the edge of the river. About ten minutes later I had another hit and realized it was a good one. It danced out of the water a few times and I quickly realized it was the biggest bass I ever caught. It was at this point I was really upset I forgot the camera at home. I got the bass in and held it up and was very pleased with the catch.

I continued down the river and caught 3 more bass. They were all caught on the 4 inch tube. I did try some other baits. I had a bass got after a 6 inch green and blue worm.
The trip to the Canaan River only added about 20 minutes to my usual spot at Little River so perhaps I will go back there instead of Little River as I had good success there today. I will have to see if James would like to make the trip next time.

Sorry, no pics this time :(

7 comments:

  1. I'll bet you kicked yourself all the way home and I would also bet you will never forget your camera again.

    I remember my two biggest bass and likely will never forget them but back then I didn't even bother carrying a camera as I just shake too much and never could take a good picture.

    You will catch a bigger one eventually and then you can snap that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check with my partner to see when he is on days off. We should get organized for a trip to the Caanan or Chipman or French Lake. I think the wearher is changing by wed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i fished the Cannan too last Sunday I was up past Blacks store. I caught 4 bass in the 2 lb range and a real nice pic about 23 in long. lots of white perch and a few sunfish, got soaked and i too forgot my camera. but had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great Manny. I am not sure how much farther that is from where I fished. Did not know there were pickerel in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi james.theres lots of pickerel there. If you go past Blacks store all the way to the TCH , straight across you will come to a road to your left called Sharkys wharf. go to the end . Its a good place to take your kids. Theres lots of white perch , sunfish , and catfish. And every once in a while some very nice Pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the directions Manny. I will take them there sometime soon. Is it ia pretty open area? What do you use for bait? I have lots of soft plastic worms for bass and pickerel....could try those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your welcome James. Yes its very open. And yes plastic worms should work for you. get some crawlers for the kids. ,and you might want to help them with taking the catfish and perch off the hook. They have some sharp points on them. Hope you have a great time. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete